From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] foo2zjs make install error
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 23:04:18
1 On 04/16/2014 09:14 AM, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 15 April 2014, at 1:06 pm, Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us> wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> I should have included this in my first post: "locate foomatic-rip"
6 >> returns, on both installations:
7 >>
8 >> /usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
9 >> /usr/share/man/man1/foomatic-rip.1.bz2
10 >>
11 >> I cannot run foomatic-rip manually.
12 >
13 > This is perhaps a nitpick, but `locate` doesn't show us that foomatic-rip is installed on your system, only that it was installed last time updatedb was run.
14 >
15 > I'm not actually familiar with foomatic-rip, but I'd assume that it's an executable of some sort. Don't you get an error message if you try running `/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip`? What are the permissions on the file? In another post you've stated that you have 2 other machines which are not showing the same problem - compare with them.
16 >
17 > Stroller.
21 Good point, but updatedb is run after every update, so daily or
22 thereabouts. I can execute foomatic-rip (but only with the full path -
23 there is no separate command, which makes sense since it is not located
24 in a /bin dir, I suppose). No errors on any of the three installs.
25 (Note it is not really completing its job on the subject machine, as
26 without the foo2zjs driver and accompanying firmware, I can't print.
27 But it is responding with appropriate questions about whether my printer
28 is configured or not.) The permission for foomatic-rip is -rwxr-xr-x 1
29 root root, so shouldn't be a problem - user is in the lp group anyway.
30
31 And you're correct, comparing the three is what I've been trying to do.
32 I've re-build a few packages to make sure all cups- and
33 foomatic-related packages have the same USE flags. Also have run all
34 clean-up scripts, like perl-cleaner, python-updater, revdep-rebuild, etc.
35
36 foo2zjs (either from source or the gentoo package) still refuses to make
37 install. I guess I'll keep playing. Thanks for your help.