From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 12:45:43
1 On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:08:50 -0300
2 Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > One idea: you can can recompile python with a safe
5 > prefix (such as a subdir of your home), issue make install (not as root,
6 > for increased safety) and see where Python install its files relative to
7 > the prefix, so you can delete them from your system
8 > (to be more careful before deleting a file, you can issue
9 > qfile <FILE> to see if it is owned by a portage-installed package.
10 > And in the end you can emerge python properly, from the sources, so all
11 > the ebuild logic (which is more than just ./configure, make and make install)
12 > gets applied, and you get a Python installation that respects your USE flags,
13 > CFLAGS and other system-specific settings (obviously you don't get such a
14 > system-customized python when you use the binary package from tinderbox).
17 I should mention that you should be careful about deleting any files -
18 and qfile is not a 100% guarantee that the file does not come from a
19 Portage-installed package. For example, in my system Python was
20 installed by Portage, and
21 $ file /usr/bin/python
22 /usr/bin/python: symbolic link to `python2.5'
23 , yet
24 $ qfile /usr/bin/python
25 <No output>
26
27 So qfile giving an empty output is not a guarantee that the file is
28 indeed orphan. Specially with symlinks - look at the Python ebuild
29 and see the way these symlinks are generated.
30
31 And of course, it is wise to emerge --buildpkg python before doing any
32 cleaning.
33 And after the cleaning, reemerge Python.
34
35 Regards,
36 Jorge