From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New openssh install message?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:04:44
1 On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:15:24 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > With a remote machine, I always restart SSH, leave the current shell
4 > > open and open a new one from another terminal. The old session will
5 > > continue to work when you shut down sshd, so if the new install is
6 > > somehow broken,
7 >
8 > ^^^^^^^^^
9 >
10 > restart
11 >
12 A restart is just a showdown followed by a start. I wrote shut down
13 because even if the restart fails and you have no sshd running, your
14 existing ssh session will continue to work while you fix the breakage.
15
16 > Some noobs might get confused ;-)
17
18 noobs shouldn't be administering Gentoo boxes remotely :P
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.