From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE weirdness after upgrade past Sunday.
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 11:32:34
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 4 March 2020 14:41:31 CET Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I did my usual Sunday upgrades the other day. There was a lot of
6 >> upgrades to plasma and elogind it seems. Let's add LOo in there as well
7 >> just for giggles. Anyway, I have a few oddities going on here. I'm not
8 >> quite sure what to make of it but wondering if anyone else has ran into
9 >> this.
10 >>
11 >> First weirdness. When I lock my screen, CTRL + shift + L. It locks the
12 >> screen just fine. The weird part happens when I poke the mouse or hit a
13 >> key to wake the screen back up. Instead of a screen asking for my
14 >> password with the goofy looking user avatar, I get a black screen with
15 >> the mouse pointer visible. The background and the little box for my
16 >> password, nowhere to be found. After a bit, I type in the password,
17 >> blindly, and it sits there for a while and then my desktop comes back.
18 >> It takes a while and could be related to other problems coming up.
19 > I investigated this a bit more and found it has to do with " kde-plasma/
20 > kscreenlocker ".
21 > This process was using up 100% CPU (gladly only 1 core) and killing (-9) this
22 > cleared the black screen.
23 >
24 > Can this also be related to still using consolekit? Do I really need to
25 > migrate to "elogind" to be able to unlock my laptop after hibernate?
26 >
27 > Many thanks,
28 >
29 > Joost
32 I migrated to elogind a few months ago, there's a thread about it too.
33 It went well.  No problems.  Still, when something goes wrong with
34 elogind, I'm trying to figure out how to recognize it.
35
36 The biggest thing I don't like, it being in the boot runlevel.  It
37 requires me to remember to restart it after a upgrade.  If I forget, I
38 run into the issues in this thread.  From my understanding tho,
39 consolekit is leaving the building.  At some point, switching will have
40 to be done.
41
42 When I was restarting elogind yesterday, I had a process that was taking
43 up one core as well.  I went back to the boot runlevel, stopped elogind,
44 killed any straggling processes and then restarted elogind and back to
45 default runlevel.  So far, everything is working fine.  It could be a
46 fluke, it could repeat and be a bug of some sort.  I'll know next time,
47 if I remember to check.  lol
48
49 Dale
50