From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:12:00
1 On Jan 11, 2008 11:40 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 11 January 2008, Galevsky wrote:
3 > > Sorry if I were rude with you Alan, it was not my intentions, plus I
4 > > mixed up you question with the affirmation "no need to update".
5 >
6 > No problem.
7 >
8 > Part of the fun of gentoo is you get to figure out how it works and you
9 > get to hack it yourself.
10 >
11 > Kinda like driving an old Ferrari :-)
12 > I honestly believe that gentoo is not built for the mass market, so
13 > their needs do not apply. The real needs do apply though.
14 >
15 > An installer that always works and is always current is not an
16 > appropriate high-priority need for gentoo.
19 I completely agree with Alan, Gentoo is a metadistro, and it provides
20 (by Handbook) a LOT of ways to install, spending time on a new CD
21 every 6 months just to support hardware, while you still need to type
22 the commands yourself is a waste of time, and the Installer has proven
23 its not worth the trouble. Its like reinventing the wheel, as we
24 already have TONS of small, updated LiveCDs all over the web. You just
25 CAN'T compare a binary distro install with Gentoo, that's like
26 comparing a Bettle with a Landrover, just because both of them have
27 explosing engines.
28
29 The only thing I like about new releases are the nift livecd gensplash
30 themes... Lol.
33 Daniel da Veiga
34
35 Filosofia de TI: Programadores de verdade consideram o conceito "o que
36 voc礙 v礙 矇 o que voc礙 tem" t瓊o ruim em editores de texto quanto em
37 mulheres. N瓊o, o programador de verdade quer um editor de texto do
38 estilo "voc礙 pediu, voc礙 levou" - complicado, indecifr獺vel, poderoso,
39 impiedoso, perigoso.
40 瞱z鉉羞 z{h��言%