From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How would I disable Flash (oand other things) for a single account?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:33:08
1 On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Is it possible to shut off all multimedia stuff for a single account?
3 > It's doesn't have to be securely off, just off, so if it cannot be
4 > done by meddling with group membership then doing something in a root
5 > owned bash file that executes when the user logs in even that's fine
6 > with me. (Uh - even I don't know much about what Linux/Gnome does when
7 > a user logs in so I'll get to learn a bit also!)
8 >
9 > I've removed the user account from the audio, video and games groups.
10 > When playing YouTube stuff sound is gone but the Flash video is still
11 > there. Can I stop that from working. maybe by changing paths if
12 > there's not an easier way to do it?
13
14 Is the user a willing participant? If so, I think you can use
15 NoScript/FlashBlock to block that kind of stuff with success.
16
17 If you don't want someone to play video, you'll not only need to block
18 the browser plugins, but any software on the company capable of
19 playing video (such as mplayer, xine, etc).
20
21 Massimo's suggestion of altering the file modes to remove read access
22 from that user sounds good. Maybe it would be easier with ACLs so you
23 can specifically deny that one user access. But I've never used ACLs
24 so I can't say for sure it would be easier. :)