From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Odd portage behaviour with binary packages
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:38:27
1 On Tuesday 17 October 2006 11:44, Stephane Pointu wrote:
2 > Hi all, I have a question about portage behaviour:
3 >
4 > I have a package built in a certain version in /usr/portage/package
5 > but this version is not in portage tree (no ebuild for it). If I do a
6 > "emerge -kuav world" it takes this package but if I do a "emerge -uav
7 > world" it does not. Is this a normal behaviour? Shouldn't portage
8 > first check if there is an ebuild for it before installing the
9 > package?
10
11 No, it makes perfect sense. When you use the -k switch, portage is in a
12 position to find and use the prebuilt package, so it will.
13
14 When you don't use the -k switch, it won't use /usr/portage/packages per
15 the man page, so there's no sense in even attemtping to look for that
16 package - as there is no ebuild for that version, it cannot possibly
17 build it
18
19 Your last question doesn't make sense - how can portage check for an
20 ebuild that you earlier clearly said does not exist?
21
22 alan
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list