From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 21:57:52
1 On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:59:18PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:37 on Friday 22 October 2010, Zeerak
3 > Mustafa Waseem did opine thusly:
4 >
5 > > > > I understood the future of Openrc within Gentoo to be in question:
6 > > > > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ce55de133ca592b638db758c9e457
7 > > > > 370.xml
8 > > >
9 > > >
10 > > >
11 > > > An interesting read, until the rants start, we'll just have to wait and
12 > > > see.
13 > > >
14 > > >
15 > >
16 > > Well, there isn't any question as far as whether or not openrc is going to
17 > > be stabilized, there is however a question of what's going to be put in
18 > > ~arch afterwards, whether or not to use devicekit or whatever it's called
19 > > now. I don't have time to find them myself, but check out the two threads
20 > > named "The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo" and "openrc stabilization
21 > > update". The general consesus is that for now openrc will be stabilized
22 > > and the project has been brought back into Gentoo, so the question for now
23 > > is what the future of ~arch is.
26 > It's openrc-${PV}+1 - there's no question about that.
27 >
28 > Until someone actually ponies up and commits something other than openrc to
29 > the tree, it's gonna stay on openrc.
30 >
31 > I think you misunderstand what ~arch means.
32
33 I'll gladly be explained, just in case I should have it wrong. :-)
34
35 What I meant however was that there has been talk of starting a migration of ~arch users to devicekit when it is deemed ready. As far as I remember no conclusion was brought to that discussion other than openrc being moved inhouse and seeing how that went. So the ball is still in the air as far as openrc and a replacement goes, to my understanding.
38 Zeerak Waseem