From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:28:05
1 On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I got KDE 4.2.1 installed with only a couple of bugs along the way.
3 > I'm not impressed: there's some eye-candy, but usability is reduced.
4 > There's a very limited choice of desktop backgrounds:
5 > I like the 'No picture, pavement' choice in 3.5.10 with different colors,
6 > but there's nothing similar in 4.2.1 .
7 > I did something unexpected & froze a new panel -- 1 CPU at 100 % --
8 > & managed to get back to "normal" only by deleting ~/.kde4/share .
9 > Dolphin is pathetic compared with Thunar, let alone Krusader
10 > (I've never tried Konqueror as a file manager).
11 > I can't try the new Gwenview, as some of the new files clash with the old
12 > & I'm certainly not unmerging the KDE 3 version.
13 >
14 > I've gone back to 3.5.10 more or less, but am stuck with 4.2.1's desktop:
15 > the background, R-click menu & 4.2.1 panel are still there & working
16 > (no, trying to change it with the 3.5.10 CC has no effect).
17 > Can anyone suggest what I have to delete to get all of 3.5.10 restored ?
18 >
19 > I have a lot of respect for KDE developers over the past few years,
20 > but they've badly underestimated the size of their task for KDE 4 .
21 >
22 > Perhaps I should try Xfce 4.6 with some KDE 4 apps ... (smile)
23
24 I would suggest totally getting rid of everything KDE3 related before
25 trying to go KDE4... I also had lots of problems and conflicts with
26 both installed. Once I got rid of all traces of KDE3 and started
27 "fresh" with KDE4, it has been working well. I really didn't care for
28 the whole look and feel at first, but it has grown on me. Me, I set it
29 to random background every 10 minutes. Honestly the background is
30 rarely ever seen on my screen so it's not a big deal to me. I like
31 maximized windows. :) For the same reason I don't use the desktop
32 widgets at all, and I find dockable taskbar stuff from KDE3 to be more
33 useful... because a bunch of gigantic widgets on my desktop which are
34 always covered by windows seems totally stupid and useless to me.
35
36 Overall I think KDE3 was much faster in performance (probably lack of
37 3D effects) and more productive to use... I'm sticking with KDE4 for
38 now simply because it's the "new" thing... but there's no compelling
39 reason for me to use it instead of KDE3.
40
41 I don't use GUI filemanager so I have no opinion on dolphin. New
42 gwenview works fine for me, again I nuked the old stuff first. I
43 actually use gqview instead of gwenview, though.
44
45 KDE4 versions of k3b, digikam, k9copy, koffice all seem to work well for me.
46
47 The only app I am really disappointed with is Amarok 2. I really liked
48 Amarok 1 and they started over for Amarok 2 and I dislike just about
49 everything they've done to it. The tree-view collection list is
50 awful!!!!, the UI is bad (middle 50% of screen is wasted), playlist is
51 not intuitive. Does not support titles in cue files. The only thing
52 they've done better is Last.fm works better... but I am about [------]
53 this close to going back to Amarok 1 and taking on board the KDE3 libs
54 it brings with it.