From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 20:12:09
1 On 04/05 08:41, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 5 April 2020 19:12:45 CEST, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > >Hi,
4 > >
5 > >currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
6 > >the application I had on my old system.
7 > >
8 > >Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
9 > >(or yesterday...it depends...;) .
10 > >
11 > >When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
12 > >needs to be transfered to the SSD.
13 > >
14 > >The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
15 > >
16 > >Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
17 > >in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
18 > >
19 > >And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
20 > >to the SSD and do not miss anything?
21 > >
22 > >Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
23 > >greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
24 > >What is recommended here?
25 > >
26 > >Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
27 > >
28 > >Cheers! And stay heathy!
29 > >Meino
30 >
31 > I have been using SSDs for over 7 years now and never worried about them overheating.
32 > In my opinion, if the drive can't handle a copy operation of 20GB (how much bigger is your root partition?) it should be replaced from day one.
33 >
34 > I only keep the portage compile dir and browser caches in RAM, the rest stays on the SSD. And as I mentioned in a previous thread about SSDs, I only had one failure after 6.5 years. (That drive also had SWAP on it and I didn't offload the browser caches yet on that one).
35 >
36 > Like Mark said, it is good to keep an eye on it, but if you use decent brand SSDs (Samsung and Intel), you should be able to expect 5+ years of heavy usage.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Joost
40 > --
41 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
45 Hi,
46
47 I found a minute ago:
48