From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 18:42:08
1 On 5 April 2020 19:12:45 CEST, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 >Hi,
3 >
4 >currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
5 >the application I had on my old system.
6 >
7 >Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
8 >(or yesterday...it depends...;) .
9 >
10 >When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
11 >needs to be transfered to the SSD.
12 >
13 >The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
14 >
15 >Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
16 >in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
17 >
18 >And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
19 >to the SSD and do not miss anything?
20 >
21 >Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
22 >greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
23 >What is recommended here?
24 >
25 >Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
26 >
27 >Cheers! And stay heathy!
28 >Meino
29
30 I have been using SSDs for over 7 years now and never worried about them overheating.
31 In my opinion, if the drive can't handle a copy operation of 20GB (how much bigger is your root partition?) it should be replaced from day one.
32
33 I only keep the portage compile dir and browser caches in RAM, the rest stays on the SSD. And as I mentioned in a previous thread about SSDs, I only had one failure after 6.5 years. (That drive also had SWAP on it and I didn't offload the browser caches yet on that one).
34
35 Like Mark said, it is good to keep an eye on it, but if you use decent brand SSDs (Samsung and Intel), you should be able to expect 5+ years of heavy usage.
38 Joost
39 --
40 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.