From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New Intel CPU flaws discovered
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 12:46:07
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday, 17 May 2019 09:43:46 BST Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> My problems with init thingys date all the way back to to the Mandrake
5 >> 9.1 days when I first used Linux.
6 > I was never a Mandrake user, but also avoided using an initrd unless it came
7 > with a binary distro - at which point I would also expect it to Just-Work(TM).
8 >
9 > The world has moved on since Mandrake 9.x and the generation of initramfs is a
10 > much more automated and reliable process now.
11
12 I was not that lucky with Mandrake.  I stopped counting the number of
13 times the init thingy failed.  It got to a point where I would not
14 update Mandrake, I would download a new CD and reinstall only leaving
15 /home untouched.  Even then, with some dodgy hardware, rebooting was not
16 something I looked forward to.
20 > Regarding a separate /usr fs necessitating initramfs, it shouldn't be too
21 > difficult to plan some downtime, reboot with Live-media and move the /usr fs
22 > contents into /, following any required partition modifications. Unless of
23 > course you *want* to keep /usr separate for mounting it as read-only, or
24 > sharing it among multiple OS, in which case I don't think you can escape
25 > initramfs.
26 >
27 > The downtime for rebooting a new kernel is measured in seconds. Even if the
28 > new kernel fails, you can fallback onto the previous kernel and boot that in
29 > seconds.
32 As I posted earlier, if I ever replace the hard drive, with a SDD most
33 likely, that is the plan.  With a SDD there is little need to have a
34 separate partition.  I may still make /var separate tho, since I've had
35 logs go crazy and fill it up before.  Having /var fill up is less of a
36 problem than / filling up.
39 >> As to hardware, I had one time where that was a issue. Power failed and
40 >> a shutdown was needed. When I went to power back up, the CPU fan
41 >> wouldn't spin up. After a couple drops of oil was added, it was
42 >> spinning up again and of course, I ordered a replacement fan right
43 >> away. I don't recall ever having any other hardware problem.
44 > Count yourself lucky. You could have discovered your disk wouldn't spin up
45 > again, your PSU packed up, or even the MoBo chipset decided to retire from
46 > active service. Eventually, any of these hardware problems would manifest
47 > themselves, but a reboot could reveal their demise sooner and hopefully at a
48 > point where you were somewhat prepared for it.
51 As I posted, I've had a fan to fail, that's it.  Thing is, at the moment
52 I'm not prepared for any of that but when things age, I replace them.
53 Of course, that really requires planning and is one reason I wouldn't
54 mind having a second system.  Thing is, if I'm running, it is working.
55 Avoiding reboots avoids those issues.  Rebooting only forces them to
56 show up sooner, which I don't want.  I'm not sure how making something
57 fail sooner is really going to help anything.  If making something fail
58 sooner is the answer, never change oil in your car.  ROFL
59
60 Dale
61