From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New Intel CPU flaws discovered
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 10:28:13
1 On Friday, 17 May 2019 09:43:46 BST Dale wrote:
2
3 > My problems with init thingys date all the way back to to the Mandrake
4 > 9.1 days when I first used Linux.
5
6 I was never a Mandrake user, but also avoided using an initrd unless it came
7 with a binary distro - at which point I would also expect it to Just-Work(TM).
8
9 The world has moved on since Mandrake 9.x and the generation of initramfs is a
10 much more automated and reliable process now.
11
12 Regarding a separate /usr fs necessitating initramfs, it shouldn't be too
13 difficult to plan some downtime, reboot with Live-media and move the /usr fs
14 contents into /, following any required partition modifications. Unless of
15 course you *want* to keep /usr separate for mounting it as read-only, or
16 sharing it among multiple OS, in which case I don't think you can escape
17 initramfs.
18
19 The downtime for rebooting a new kernel is measured in seconds. Even if the
20 new kernel fails, you can fallback onto the previous kernel and boot that in
21 seconds.
24 > As to hardware, I had one time where that was a issue. Power failed and
25 > a shutdown was needed. When I went to power back up, the CPU fan
26 > wouldn't spin up. After a couple drops of oil was added, it was
27 > spinning up again and of course, I ordered a replacement fan right
28 > away. I don't recall ever having any other hardware problem.
29
30 Count yourself lucky. You could have discovered your disk wouldn't spin up
31 again, your PSU packed up, or even the MoBo chipset decided to retire from
32 active service. Eventually, any of these hardware problems would manifest
33 themselves, but a reboot could reveal their demise sooner and hopefully at a
34 point where you were somewhat prepared for it.
37 Regards,
38 Mick