From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New Intel CPU flaws discovered
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 08:43:57
1 Adam Carter wrote:
2 >
3 > something even worse.  Since rebooting is when those tend to
4 > fail/break/whatever, it is yet another reason I avoid rebooting.
7 > I take the opposite approach. If I update the kernel and reboot often,
8 > I see the following benefits;
9 > - Each increment in version is smaller, therefore there's less change
10 > per update, which make it easier to troubleshoot if there's problems
11 > - Doing something regularly is practice, and practice makes perfect.
12 > If you were to update regularly you would become more proficient and
13 > confident with doing the init thingy (initrd?)
14 > - If a hardware issue occurs, I find it at a good time when i'm not
15 > busy, and have the time to troubleshoot
16 > - Getting the benefits of the automated kernel code testing (eg
17 > syzbot, KASAN) that is used these days finding issues that then get
18 > fixed (including security issues). You'd have to assume that over the
19 > overall quality of the kernel is improving at a faster rate now than
20 > before those extra checks were in place.
21 >
22 > At work I have raised tickets to have systems with big uptimes have
23 > their hardware status reviewed then restarted, a couple of days before
24 > I undertake risky/critical work. That way I can have more confidence
25 > in the system's health before starting. The classic one is where OPS
26 > haven't noticed that disks in a RAID array have died years ago...
27 >
28 > Even when I have a power fail here, it makes me very nervous to
29 > shutdown.
32 > Another benefit of regular updates would be to reduce stress of
33 > deciding to shutdown, as you will have more confidence that the
34 > systems are healthy when you need to do it.
35 >
36 > :)
39 My problems with init thingys date all the way back to to the Mandrake
40 9.1 days when I first used Linux.  At that time, I didn't make the init
41 thingys at all, the OS did that during install or updates.  Still, they
42 would work but eventually a update or something would break them which
43 left me with a unbootable OS.  After a few times with that, I grew to
44 hate the init thingys and have hated them ever since.  It is just one
45 more thing that tends to fail and since it shouldn't really even be
46 needed, since it wasn't for many years, I would rather not have one at
47 all.  I find it odd that I can build a kernel from scratch that boots
48 and works on the first try but that silly init thingy seems to cause
49 problems even when not messed with.  I might add, the init thingy is one
50 reason I left Mandrake.  Gentoo didn't require the stupid thing and for
51 years when I didn't have one, rebooting wasn't a issue since I was
52 confident my kernels would work.  After all, even back then, I didn't
53 change or update the kernels that often.
54
55 As to hardware, I had one time where that was a issue.  Power failed and
56 a shutdown was needed.  When I went to power back up, the CPU fan
57 wouldn't spin up.  After a couple drops of oil was added, it was
58 spinning up again and of course, I ordered a replacement fan right
59 away.  I don't recall ever having any other hardware problem.  Thing is,
60 even if I had shutdown a week earlier, that fan may have worked fine.
61 Who knows when it would have eventually failed.
62
63 As I also said, my system is almost always doing something I need it to
64 do.  It is doing things that it can't do if I'm rebooting or shutting
65 down.  It is certainly something it can't do if it us unable to boot due
66 to a broken init thingy.  If I wanted a system that required rebooting
67 on a regular basis to work, I'd be using windoze not Linux.  Reboots
68 frequently fixes windoze issues but doesn't usually do so with Linux.
69
70 As I said before, for some the advice is good advice.  For me, it is
71 not.  It is counterproductive even for me in my use case.  I can't think
72 of anything that will be changing that either.  If how I use my system
73 changes, that may change things.
74
75 Dale
76