From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ideapad-laptop
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:02:36
1 On 30-Jul-2014 4:30 pm, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wednesday 30 Jul 2014 11:53:25 Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
4 > > So I got a new Lenovo G50.
5 > > I found all the required drivers in kernel itself. Seems to be quite
6 Linux
7 > > friendly so far (not installed desktop yet).
8 > >
9 > > There's one problem though. The kernel module ideapad-laptop which
10 > > apparently recognizes the hotkey stuff, backlight and some other things
11 > > doesn't let me use wireless. rfkill shows it's hard blocked. Is there
12 any
13 > > way to change this?
14 > >
15 > > Some Google results tell me that this is related to the WiFi toggle via
16 > > windows. The machine never contained windows ( I bought it with
17 freedos).
18 > >
19 > > I'm not comfortable with opening it to remove CMOS battery as suggested
20 by
21 > > yet another Google search result.
22 >
23 > What does 'rfkill enable wlan0' give you? It should be able to override
24 any
25 > hotkey setting.
26 >
27 > --
28 > Regards,
29 > Mick
30
31 The soft block gets removed, but hard block remains, and there's no
32 hardware switch for the same. If I remove the module it works without any
33 problems.