From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ideapad-laptop
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:40:22
1 On Wed, 2014-07-30 at 16:32 +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > On 30-Jul-2014 4:30 pm, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Wednesday 30 Jul 2014 11:53:25 Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
5 > > > So I got a new Lenovo G50.
6 > > > I found all the required drivers in kernel itself. Seems to be
7 > quite Linux
8 > > > friendly so far (not installed desktop yet).
9 > > >
10 > > > There's one problem though. The kernel module ideapad-laptop which
11 > > > apparently recognizes the hotkey stuff, backlight and some other
12 > things
13 > > > doesn't let me use wireless. rfkill shows it's hard blocked. Is
14 > there any
15 > > > way to change this?
16 > > >
17 > > > Some Google results tell me that this is related to the WiFi
18 > toggle via
19 > > > windows. The machine never contained windows ( I bought it with
20 > freedos).
21 > > >
22 > > > I'm not comfortable with opening it to remove CMOS battery as
23 > suggested by
24 > > > yet another Google search result.
25 > >
26 > > What does 'rfkill enable wlan0' give you? It should be able to
27 > override any
28 > > hotkey setting.
29 > >
30 > > --
31 > > Regards,
32 > > Mick
33 >
34 > The soft block gets removed, but hard block remains, and there's no
35 > hardware switch for the same. If I remove the module it works without
36 > any problems.
39 I don't really understand the exact purpose of that module. Touchpad,
40 brightness control, sound control, camera, radio everything works out of
41 the box without the module. Except that I'm not able to toggle airplane
42 mode using the hotkey, but that's not a big issue.