From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ideapad-laptop
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:22:21
1 On 31 July 2014 19:40:07 CEST, Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Wed, 2014-07-30 at 16:32 +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >> On 30-Jul-2014 4:30 pm, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > On Wednesday 30 Jul 2014 11:53:25 Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
6 >> > > So I got a new Lenovo G50.
7 >> > > I found all the required drivers in kernel itself. Seems to be
8 >> quite Linux
9 >> > > friendly so far (not installed desktop yet).
10 >> > >
11 >> > > There's one problem though. The kernel module ideapad-laptop
12 >which
13 >> > > apparently recognizes the hotkey stuff, backlight and some other
14 >> things
15 >> > > doesn't let me use wireless. rfkill shows it's hard blocked. Is
16 >> there any
17 >> > > way to change this?
18 >> > >
19 >> > > Some Google results tell me that this is related to the WiFi
20 >> toggle via
21 >> > > windows. The machine never contained windows ( I bought it with
22 >> freedos).
23 >> > >
24 >> > > I'm not comfortable with opening it to remove CMOS battery as
25 >> suggested by
26 >> > > yet another Google search result.
27 >> >
28 >> > What does 'rfkill enable wlan0' give you? It should be able to
29 >> override any
30 >> > hotkey setting.
31 >> >
32 >> > --
33 >> > Regards,
34 >> > Mick
35 >>
36 >> The soft block gets removed, but hard block remains, and there's no
37 >> hardware switch for the same. If I remove the module it works without
38 >> any problems.
41 >I don't really understand the exact purpose of that module. Touchpad,
42 >brightness control, sound control, camera, radio everything works out
43 >of
44 >the box without the module. Except that I'm not able to toggle airplane
45 >mode using the hotkey, but that's not a big issue.
46
47 I am not familiar with that module.
48 But in a long distant past I wrote a module to handle the special keys on an ASUS laptop which were exposed via ACPI.
49 I always assume these modules add support for special keys and settings not handled by any other driver.
52 Joost
53 --
54 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.