From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback is back again!
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 18:13:27
1 Hello, Wol.
2
3 On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 18:44:15 +0100, antlists wrote:
4 > On 05/04/2021 18:12, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Bug reports and other comments are welcome, of course.
6 > >
7 > > If anybody would like the corresponding patch which works on 5.4.n, for n
8 > >> = 80, that is available, too.
9
10 > Why did it get removed from the kernel?
11
12 Allegedly, there were security problems with it. I think the kernel
13 people had a program which fired random inputs at lots of components,
14 and noted when things went wrong; and things went wrong in the scroll
15 back component. And they couldn't find anybody to look into these
16 problems.
17
18 That's the official position. I'm a bit more cynical about it.
19
20 > If you want to get it back in, couldn't you ping Greg KH and get some
21 > help - or even just advice - getting it accepted?
22
23 I have no reason to believe all the "security problems" will have been
24 resolved by my hacking. I took the algorithmic bits from 4.19.97
25 basically unchanged.
26
27 Maybe there's not much enthusiasm for this feature, in which case I will
28 keep it working for myself. Linux is basically unusable to me without
29 it. There are probably quite a few patches to restore the scrollback
30 floating around the web by now: the changes were not particularly
31 difficult to anybody who knows the code, but getting to know the code
32 was unusually difficult.
33
34 We'll see how people react to it here, first.
35
36 > Cheers,
37 > Wol
40 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).