From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback is back again!
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 23:09:23
1 On Mon, Apr 5, 2021, 13:13 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hello, Wol.
4 >
5 > On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 18:44:15 +0100, antlists wrote:
6 > > On 05/04/2021 18:12, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
7 > > > Bug reports and other comments are welcome, of course.
8 > > >
9 > > > If anybody would like the corresponding patch which works on 5.4.n,
10 > for n
11 > > >> = 80, that is available, too.
12 >
13 > > Why did it get removed from the kernel?
14 >
15 > Allegedly, there were security problems with it. I think the kernel
16 > people had a program which fired random inputs at lots of components,
17 > and noted when things went wrong; and things went wrong in the scroll
18 > back component. And they couldn't find anybody to look into these
19 > problems.
20 >
21 > That's the official position. I'm a bit more cynical about it.
22 >
23 > > If you want to get it back in, couldn't you ping Greg KH and get some
24 > > help - or even just advice - getting it accepted?
25 >
26 > I have no reason to believe all the "security problems" will have been
27 > resolved by my hacking. I took the algorithmic bits from 4.19.97
28 > basically unchanged.
29 >
30 > Maybe there's not much enthusiasm for this feature, in which case I will
31 > keep it working for myself. Linux is basically unusable to me without
32 > it. There are probably quite a few patches to restore the scrollback
33 > floating around the web by now: the changes were not particularly
34 > difficult to anybody who knows the code, but getting to know the code
35 > was unusually difficult.
36 >
37 > We'll see how people react to it here, first.
38 >
39 > > Cheers,
40 > > Wol
41 >
42 > --
43 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
46 Without looking at the patch itself:
47
48 Have you considered something like kmscon as a userland alternative?
49
50 I installed it on my laptop, and aside from not working with gpmd or
51 consolation for mouse support, it's a perfectly functional local tty.