From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade or start over..
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 00:01:57
1 On Sunday 27 December 2009 21:46:23 Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have a gentoo circa 2008 install that i have pretty much the bare minimal
5 > to keep up to date... i now have the problem that i need to upgrade mdadm,
6 > lvm and probably a few other bits and pieces. This machine is used almost
7 > exclusively as a windows file server.
8 >
9 > I am getting blocks all over the show and lots of applications needs
10 > reinstalling/upgradining on a emerge world. i have also had problems
11 > getting the kernel to do what it needs to do a i installed the minimal
12 > when i started..
13 >
14 > So i am wondering... it is easier to try and upgrade it, or as i have 2
15 > raid 1 drives as the operating system drives and the rest of the drives
16 > are pure data, i can disconnect one and wipe the other reinstall from
17 > fresh as a degraded raid 1 and when i know we are good to go, wipe the
18 > disconnected drive and add to the array to resync and go from there?
19
20 the mdadm/lvm blocks are easy to fix, just unmerge mdadm and merge lvm.
21
22 Then upgrade portage to latest *masked* version (it's stable and trouble-free
23 despite the classification), and most of the remaining blockers should be
24 resolved automatically by portage. Depending on what remains, you may or may
25 not decide to proceed with an upgrade as opposed to a reinstall.
26
27 But it's only one year back, shouldn't give too much trouble on a minimalist
28 system. Off the top of my head, I can only really think of the monolithic to
29 split ebuild samba split
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com