From: Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade or start over..
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:42:57
1 --- On Sun, 27/12/09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade or start over..
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Date: Sunday, 27 December, 2009, 22:24
7 > On Sunday 27 December 2009 21:46:23
8 > Jon Hardcastle wrote:
9 > > Hi all,
10 > >
11 > > I have a gentoo circa 2008 install that i have pretty
12 > much the bare minimal
13 > >  to keep up to date... i now have the problem
14 > that i need to upgrade mdadm,
15 > >  lvm and probably a few other bits and pieces.
16 > This machine is used almost
17 > >  exclusively as a windows file server.
18 > >
19 > > I am getting blocks all over the show and lots of
20 > applications needs
21 > >  reinstalling/upgradining on a emerge world. i
22 > have also had problems
23 > >  getting the kernel to do what it needs to do a i
24 > installed the minimal
25 > >  when i started..
26 > >
27 > > So i am wondering... it is easier to try and upgrade
28 > it, or as i have 2
29 > >  raid 1 drives as the operating system drives and
30 > the rest of the drives
31 > >  are pure data, i can disconnect one and wipe the
32 > other reinstall from
33 > >  fresh as a degraded raid 1 and when i know we
34 > are good to go, wipe the
35 > >  disconnected drive and add to the array to
36 > resync and go from there?
37 >
38 > the mdadm/lvm blocks are easy to fix, just unmerge mdadm
39 > and merge lvm.
40 >
41 > Then upgrade portage to latest *masked* version (it's
42 > stable and trouble-free
43 > despite the classification), and most of the remaining
44 > blockers should be
45 > resolved automatically by portage. Depending on what
46 > remains, you may or may
47 > not decide to proceed with an upgrade as opposed to a
48 > reinstall.
49 >
50 > But it's only one year back, shouldn't give too much
51 > trouble on a minimalist
52 > system. Off the top of my head, I can only really think of
53 > the monolithic to
54 > split ebuild samba split
57 > --
58 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
62 I absolutely depend on mdadm/lvm (which i believe require in some way devicemapper and udev) and these are the biggest things i am worried about changing. Does anyone have any experience here? I am assuming that unmerging and remerging should be relatively problem free? If i can get these bad boys upto date that is all i really care about...