From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade or start over..
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:23:41
1 On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:41:51 -0800 (PST), Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2
3 > I absolutely depend on mdadm/lvm (which i believe require in some way
4 > devicemapper and udev) and these are the biggest things i am worried
5 > about changing. Does anyone have any experience here? I am assuming
6 > that unmerging and remerging should be relatively problem free? If i
7 > can get these bad boys upto date that is all i really care about...
8
9 The lvm and mdadm packages are the user space utilities used to setup
10 devices. Removing them won't stop your existing devices from working. As
11 long as you r-emerge the new versions before rebooting, you should be
12 fine. Make sure you quickpkg the old versions before removing, in case the
13 new emerge fails for some reason. The worst case, if it crashes between
14 unmerge and merge, is that you'll have to use a live CD and chroot to
15 install them.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 I used to live in the real world, but I got evicted.