From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:05:13
1 On 14/03/2013 15:40, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > On 03/14/2013 09:28 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 14/03/2013 14:12, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >>> On Mar 14, 2013 4:14 PM, "William Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au
5 >>> <mailto:billk@×××××××××.au>> wrote:
6 >>>> Did this few years back for an online magazine sponsored by a local
7 >>>> linux sysadmin company who wanted to see the difference between generic
8 >>>> debian and optimised (not necessarily gentoo, but thats what I used.)
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Difference in times was ~10% across the board for graphics manipulations
11 >>>> (gimp scripts), spreadsheet tasks (gnumeric) and the like.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> The "kicker" - simple optimisations gained far, far more than generic
14 >>>> compiler settings. e.g., initially, the gnumeric versions were slightly
15 >>>> different, with some wild times across the tasks. Make em the same
16 >>>> version (and cuedos to the gnumeric maintainer for jumping in and
17 >>>> helping diagnose/fix the problem - newer version on gentoo was heaps
18 >>>> slower :) and there was little difference.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Shared libs like glibc didnt make a huge difference, but being smart
21 >>>> about how/what a "particular" task was handled gained more. If a debian
22 >>>> app was compiled with similar options as to gentoo, little difference
23 >>>> between them in performance which considering shared libs etc wasn't
24 >>>> what I expected.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> The intel compilers are/were said to be a lot better than gcc, not sure
27 >>>> if the gap is still there (supposedly 20% better again)
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Its how long is a piece of string kind of question if considered OS
30 >>>> wide, but pick a narrow task and optimise away with smart programmers
31 >>>> and you will do well on almost anything.
32 >>>>
33 >>>> Big advantage of gentoo - configurability, version control (what version
34 >>>> is installed and changing it at short notice) and general flexibility.
35 >>>>
36 >>> This.
37 >>>
38 >>> Why I prefer Gentoo over other distros: Full control.
39 >>>
40 >>> I mean, I can (and do) leverage "-march=native". And I certainly have an
41 >>> overly long USE flags... but it's the sheet satisfaction of knowing that
42 >>> my system is MY system that made me stick with Gentoo...
43 >>>
44 >>> It's eminently satisfying -- a geekgasm, if you will -- to know that
45 >>> one's kernel is lean and customized, all the toolchains have been tuned,
46 >>> and there are no useless things being installed...
47 >>>
48 >>> In regards to performance, the benefits might not be groundbreaking, but
49 >>> it's there, and when your server is being relentlessly hammered by
50 >>> requests, Gentoo seems to have additional breathing space where other
51 >>> distros choke...
52 >>
53 >> Gentoo excels as a -dev system where your devs need to test things in
54 >> different environments.
55 >>
56 >> A classic case is different pythons. We have many Centos 4 machines in
57 >> production that run python-2.4, the developers naturally run something
58 >> bleeding edge like 2.7 or 3.3 on their laptops.
59 >>
60 >> Many many times they need to know if their bespoke code runs properly on
61 >> Centos, or PyPy or whatever other valid environment difference could
62 >> happen in the real world.
63 >>
64 >> Tweak USE, tweak the masking and let emerge world do it's thing. Now the
65 >> dev can do valid tests. If the dev machines are VMs, snapshot them just
66 >> before starting this and you have the best possible solution for my money.
67 >>
68 >> Or, try remove LDAP, NIS and PAM support for auth from a RHEL machine to
69 >> test if it works without those things in place.
70 >> RHEL? Impossible.
71 >> Gentoo? Trivially easy.
72 > "Trivially easy", of course, means an emerge -euDNtv world && emerge
73 > -ctv && revdep-rebuild -i && revdep-rebuild ... ehehehe
74 >
75 > I dunno, it might actually be easier to setup the said distros in a VM.
76 > And if those configurations don't work, you shouldn't have to support
77 > them, eh? ;)
81 Well, devs tend to ask questions like "would this thing X work in
82 practice? or do I have to munge my code?"
83
84 They want to know if shipped code supports something. And, I don't get
85 to say "I'm sorry, I cannot support Centos 4 on this"
86
87 Business has a stock answer "Well, find a way to make it work."
88
89 Flexibility is the key. At least with
90
91 "emerge -euDNtv world && emerge -ctv && revdep-rebuild -i && revdep-rebuild"
92
93 I can walk away and come back in three hours, look at logs and tell them
94 to test. Plus I don't have to re-install their customer code everyt time
95 from scratch (said code *never*, of course, coming with anything
96 resembling a MakeFile)
101 Alan McKinnon
102 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com