From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:45:31
1 On 03/14/2013 09:28 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 14/03/2013 14:12, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >> On Mar 14, 2013 4:14 PM, "William Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au
4 >> <mailto:billk@×××××××××.au>> wrote:
5 >>> Did this few years back for an online magazine sponsored by a local
6 >>> linux sysadmin company who wanted to see the difference between generic
7 >>> debian and optimised (not necessarily gentoo, but thats what I used.)
8 >>>
9 >>> Difference in times was ~10% across the board for graphics manipulations
10 >>> (gimp scripts), spreadsheet tasks (gnumeric) and the like.
11 >>>
12 >>> The "kicker" - simple optimisations gained far, far more than generic
13 >>> compiler settings. e.g., initially, the gnumeric versions were slightly
14 >>> different, with some wild times across the tasks. Make em the same
15 >>> version (and cuedos to the gnumeric maintainer for jumping in and
16 >>> helping diagnose/fix the problem - newer version on gentoo was heaps
17 >>> slower :) and there was little difference.
18 >>>
19 >>> Shared libs like glibc didnt make a huge difference, but being smart
20 >>> about how/what a "particular" task was handled gained more. If a debian
21 >>> app was compiled with similar options as to gentoo, little difference
22 >>> between them in performance which considering shared libs etc wasn't
23 >>> what I expected.
24 >>>
25 >>> The intel compilers are/were said to be a lot better than gcc, not sure
26 >>> if the gap is still there (supposedly 20% better again)
27 >>>
28 >>> Its how long is a piece of string kind of question if considered OS
29 >>> wide, but pick a narrow task and optimise away with smart programmers
30 >>> and you will do well on almost anything.
31 >>>
32 >>> Big advantage of gentoo - configurability, version control (what version
33 >>> is installed and changing it at short notice) and general flexibility.
34 >>>
35 >> This.
36 >>
37 >> Why I prefer Gentoo over other distros: Full control.
38 >>
39 >> I mean, I can (and do) leverage "-march=native". And I certainly have an
40 >> overly long USE flags... but it's the sheet satisfaction of knowing that
41 >> my system is MY system that made me stick with Gentoo...
42 >>
43 >> It's eminently satisfying -- a geekgasm, if you will -- to know that
44 >> one's kernel is lean and customized, all the toolchains have been tuned,
45 >> and there are no useless things being installed...
46 >>
47 >> In regards to performance, the benefits might not be groundbreaking, but
48 >> it's there, and when your server is being relentlessly hammered by
49 >> requests, Gentoo seems to have additional breathing space where other
50 >> distros choke...
51 >
52 > Gentoo excels as a -dev system where your devs need to test things in
53 > different environments.
54 >
55 > A classic case is different pythons. We have many Centos 4 machines in
56 > production that run python-2.4, the developers naturally run something
57 > bleeding edge like 2.7 or 3.3 on their laptops.
58 >
59 > Many many times they need to know if their bespoke code runs properly on
60 > Centos, or PyPy or whatever other valid environment difference could
61 > happen in the real world.
62 >
63 > Tweak USE, tweak the masking and let emerge world do it's thing. Now the
64 > dev can do valid tests. If the dev machines are VMs, snapshot them just
65 > before starting this and you have the best possible solution for my money.
66 >
67 > Or, try remove LDAP, NIS and PAM support for auth from a RHEL machine to
68 > test if it works without those things in place.
69 > RHEL? Impossible.
70 > Gentoo? Trivially easy.
71 "Trivially easy", of course, means an emerge -euDNtv world && emerge
72 -ctv && revdep-rebuild -i && revdep-rebuild ... ehehehe
73
74 I dunno, it might actually be easier to setup the said distros in a VM.
75 And if those configurations don't work, you shouldn't have to support
76 them, eh? ;)