From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:30:49
1 On 14/03/2013 14:12, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mar 14, 2013 4:14 PM, "William Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au
4 > <mailto:billk@×××××××××.au>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Did this few years back for an online magazine sponsored by a local
7 >> linux sysadmin company who wanted to see the difference between generic
8 >> debian and optimised (not necessarily gentoo, but thats what I used.)
9 >>
10 >> Difference in times was ~10% across the board for graphics manipulations
11 >> (gimp scripts), spreadsheet tasks (gnumeric) and the like.
12 >>
13 >> The "kicker" - simple optimisations gained far, far more than generic
14 >> compiler settings. e.g., initially, the gnumeric versions were slightly
15 >> different, with some wild times across the tasks. Make em the same
16 >> version (and cuedos to the gnumeric maintainer for jumping in and
17 >> helping diagnose/fix the problem - newer version on gentoo was heaps
18 >> slower :) and there was little difference.
19 >>
20 >> Shared libs like glibc didnt make a huge difference, but being smart
21 >> about how/what a "particular" task was handled gained more. If a debian
22 >> app was compiled with similar options as to gentoo, little difference
23 >> between them in performance which considering shared libs etc wasn't
24 >> what I expected.
25 >>
26 >> The intel compilers are/were said to be a lot better than gcc, not sure
27 >> if the gap is still there (supposedly 20% better again)
28 >>
29 >> Its how long is a piece of string kind of question if considered OS
30 >> wide, but pick a narrow task and optimise away with smart programmers
31 >> and you will do well on almost anything.
32 >>
33 >> Big advantage of gentoo - configurability, version control (what version
34 >> is installed and changing it at short notice) and general flexibility.
37 > This.
38 >
39 > Why I prefer Gentoo over other distros: Full control.
40 >
41 > I mean, I can (and do) leverage "-march=native". And I certainly have an
42 > overly long USE flags... but it's the sheet satisfaction of knowing that
43 > my system is MY system that made me stick with Gentoo...
44 >
45 > It's eminently satisfying -- a geekgasm, if you will -- to know that
46 > one's kernel is lean and customized, all the toolchains have been tuned,
47 > and there are no useless things being installed...
48 >
49 > In regards to performance, the benefits might not be groundbreaking, but
50 > it's there, and when your server is being relentlessly hammered by
51 > requests, Gentoo seems to have additional breathing space where other
52 > distros choke...
55 Gentoo excels as a -dev system where your devs need to test things in
56 different environments.
57
58 A classic case is different pythons. We have many Centos 4 machines in
59 production that run python-2.4, the developers naturally run something
60 bleeding edge like 2.7 or 3.3 on their laptops.
61
62 Many many times they need to know if their bespoke code runs properly on
63 Centos, or PyPy or whatever other valid environment difference could
64 happen in the real world.
65
66 Tweak USE, tweak the masking and let emerge world do it's thing. Now the
67 dev can do valid tests. If the dev machines are VMs, snapshot them just
68 before starting this and you have the best possible solution for my money.
69
70 Or, try remove LDAP, NIS and PAM support for auth from a RHEL machine to
71 test if it works without those things in place.
72 RHEL? Impossible.
73 Gentoo? Trivially easy.
78 Alan McKinnon
79 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com