From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating libpng: another libtool cockup?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:40:46
1 On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:58:14 -0400
2 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Sep 18 2011, walt wrote:
5 >
6 > > I just did a routine update on my ~amd64 machine and saw the portage
7 > > warning that libpng14 has been replaced by libpng15, and I should
8 > > run revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib/libpng14.so' and then delete
9 > > the obsolete library.
10 > >
11 > > After that I ran plain revdep-rebuild as I do after every update,
12 > > and saw that two gnome packages failed to rebuild properly because
13 > > lpng14 couldn't be found :/
14 > >
15 > > From painful experience I've learned that good-old libtool files
16 > > (*.la) are the usual suspects, and grep found -lpng14 in about
17 > > ten .la files even after both revdep-rebuilds. Grrr!
18 > >
19 > > This fixed the problem for me (as similar moves have done in the
20 > > past):
21 > >
22 > > #find /usr/lib64 -name \*.la -exec sed -i s/png14/png15/ '{}' ';'
23 >
24 > Thanks for the tip. I wonder when a routing update world tells you to
25 > run
26 > revdep-rebuild --library <some-lib>
27 > should you run it before or after the normal
28 > revdep-rebuild
29 > that we normally run after updates?
30
31 Neither.
32
33 revdep-rebuild checks everything, revdep-rebuild --library
34 checks just some things.
35
36 ebuilds sometimes issue messages to check just the libraries known to
37 have been updated, but a full revdep-rebuild after an update will catch
38 those anyway.
42 Alan McKinnnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com