From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Updating libpng: another libtool cockup?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:08:13
1 On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 01:39 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:58:14 -0400
3 > Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sun, Sep 18 2011, walt wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > I just did a routine update on my ~amd64 machine and saw the portage
8 > > > warning that libpng14 has been replaced by libpng15, and I should
9 > > > run revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib/libpng14.so' and then delete
10 > > > the obsolete library.
11 > > >
12 > > > After that I ran plain revdep-rebuild as I do after every update,
13 > > > and saw that two gnome packages failed to rebuild properly because
14 > > > lpng14 couldn't be found :/
15 > > >
16 > > > From painful experience I've learned that good-old libtool files
17 > > > (*.la) are the usual suspects, and grep found -lpng14 in about
18 > > > ten .la files even after both revdep-rebuilds. Grrr!
19 > > >
20 > > > This fixed the problem for me (as similar moves have done in the
21 > > > past):
22 > > >
23 > > > #find /usr/lib64 -name \*.la -exec sed -i s/png14/png15/ '{}' ';'
24 > >
25 > > Thanks for the tip. I wonder when a routing update world tells you to
26 > > run
27 > > revdep-rebuild --library <some-lib>
28 > > should you run it before or after the normal
29 > > revdep-rebuild
30 > > that we normally run after updates?
31 >
32 > Neither.
33 >
34 > revdep-rebuild checks everything, revdep-rebuild --library
35 > checks just some things.
36 >
37 > ebuilds sometimes issue messages to check just the libraries known to
38 > have been updated, but a full revdep-rebuild after an update will catch
39 > those anyway.
40
41 Until recently I skipped the "--library" step exactly because I knew
42 revdep-rebuild will find and fix the broken packages after I delete
43 the old library. So, why bother with the --library step, right?
44
45 However. A few weeks ago I got caught when I deleted one of those
46 obsolete libraries and only then did I find out that gcc is one of
47 the packages that depend on it :(
48
49 I don't skip the --library step any more.