From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome without PulseAudio?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:38:44
1 Canek Peláez Valdés writes:
2
3 > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> Canek Peláez Valdés writes:
5
6 >> If it would just work, then I could make my players use it if they don't
7 >> already. But what about old applications like Quake3, will they still work?
8 >
9 > Of course. I have been using PulseAudio since it became stable in
10 > Gentoo (circa October 2010); in my experience, making everything sound
11 > related going through PulseAudio makes everything work. Most modern
12 > applications support directly PulseAudio; for the old ones that don't,
13 > you can make all ALSA sound go through PulseAudio like this:
14 >
15 > # cat /etc/asound.conf
16 > pcm.!default {
17 > type pulse
18 > }
19 >
20 > ctl.!default {
21 > type pulse
22 > }
23 >
24 > (If you want it for all users; for your user only, use $HOME/.asoundrc).
25
26 Sounds good, thanks. Then it may be easier to just use PulseAudio now,
27 instead of prolongating the inevitable.
28
29 And Alecks' Link shows even this is no longer necessara. GuessI only
30 have to switch the audio devices (HDMI and analog).
31
32 >>> I don't think it is possible to uninstall completely PA in GNOME 3; I
33 >>> remember it was possible in GNOME 2.
34 >>
35 >> It got installed when I emerged GNOME 3, but until end of march
36 >> alsa-plugins was not installed. Then pulseaudio went from 1.1-r1 to
37 >> 1.99.2, since then it needs the alsa-plugins package, and my trouble
38 >> started.
39 >
40 > Mmmh? I have the latest GNOME 3.2, and I'm still using
41 > media-sound/pulseaudio-1.1-r1. Perhaps you used autounmask? I would
42 > try to go back to 1.1-r1; it's stable, after all, and GNOME doesn't
43 > need the bleeding edge on PulseAudio.
44
45 You're right! I'm on ~amd64, so 1.99.2 is current for me, but I can mask
46 it. This would work for the moment at least, and I can try PulseAudio
47 when I have some more time for that.
50 > I don't understand how do you not use GNOME 3, but you want to see its
51 > desktop philosophy. Do you run KDE or XFCE, and try to run the shell
52 > on top of that?
53
54 I don't regularly use GNOME 3, but sometimes I start a GNOME session
55 from KDE, in parallel on another display. I'm interested in how desktop
56 philosophies evolve, and so I emerged GNOME 3 recently.
57
58 I also have another session open with a simple window manager like
59 Enlightenment 0.16, where I start full-screen OpenGL applications... um,
60 games. They tend to sometimes distort the layout of windows in KDE, so I
61 no longer start them from KDE. That's just one of the many things that
62 do not work well with KDE :( For years I wonder why I still use it, but
63 I keep hoping that finally it will become stable.
64
65 Wonko