From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID: new drive on aac raid
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 14:58:04
1 On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM <karl@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > Stefan G. Weichinger:
4 > > On an older server the customer replaced a SAS drive.
5 > >
6 > > I see it as /dev/sg11, but not yes as /dev/sdX, it is not visible in "lsblk"
7 >
8 > Perhaps theese links will help:
9 > https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-checking-sas-sata-disks-behind-adaptec-raid-controllers/
10 > http://updates.aslab.com/doc/disk-controller/aacraid_guide.pdf
11 > https://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/Adaptec
14 I don't know the details of any of these controllers, but you have the
15 gist of it. The RAID controller is abstracting the individual drives
16 and so the OS doesn't see them. You need to do at least some of the
17 configuration through the controller. That usually requires
18 vendor-specific software, which is often available for linux, and
19 which in some cases is packaged for Gentoo.
20
21 There are a lot of ways to do something like this. If you're doing
22 hardware RAID you'd just replace/etc the disk in the raid (I'm
23 actually surprised in this case that just swapping the drive in the
24 same slot didn't already do this), and the hardware RAID will rebuild
25 it, and the OS doesn't see anything at all. You might need the
26 utility, but that is about it.
27
28 If you're doing software RAID or just individual disks, then you're
29 probably going to go into the controller and basically configure that
30 disk as standalone, or as a 1-disk "RAID". That will make it appear
31 to the OS, and then you can do whatever you want with it at the OS
32 level (stick a filesystem on it, put it in a RAID/lvm, whatever).
33
34 I find this sort of thing really annoying. I prefer HBAs that just do
35 IT mode or equivalent - acting as a dumb HBA and passing all the
36 drives through to the OS. It isn't that it doesn't work - it is just
37 that you're now married to that HBA card vendor and if anything
38 happens to the card you have to replace it with something compatible
39 and reconfigure it using their software/etc, or else all your data is
40 unreadable. Even if you have backups it isn't something you want to
41 just have to deal with if you're talking about a lot of data.
44 Rich