From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID: new drive on aac raid
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 15:19:54
1 Am 05.10.20 um 16:57 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2
3 > If you're doing software RAID or just individual disks, then you're
4 > probably going to go into the controller and basically configure that
5 > disk as standalone, or as a 1-disk "RAID". That will make it appear
6 > to the OS, and then you can do whatever you want with it at the OS
7 > level (stick a filesystem on it, put it in a RAID/lvm, whatever).
8 >
9 > I find this sort of thing really annoying.
10
11 Same here! ;-)
12
13 > I prefer HBAs that just do
14 > IT mode or equivalent - acting as a dumb HBA and passing all the
15 > drives through to the OS. It isn't that it doesn't work - it is just
16 > that you're now married to that HBA card vendor and if anything
17 > happens to the card you have to replace it with something compatible
18 > and reconfigure it using their software/etc, or else all your data is
19 > unreadable. Even if you have backups it isn't something you want to
20 > just have to deal with if you're talking about a lot of data.
21
22 Yep.
23
24 So my issue seems to be: non-working arcconf doesn't let me "enable"
25 that one drive.
26
27 I *might* consider booting up the older Suse OS (still somewhere as
28 well) via the flaky old Java-KVM and try things there.
29
30 The server is ~600kms away, so my possibilities with Live-USB-sticks etc
31 are limited right now.