From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP Queuing problem
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:42:18
1 Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:29:13 +0200
2 schrieb Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 07:30:40 -0700
5 > schrieb Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
6 >
7 > > [...]
8 > > [...]
9 > [...]
10 > > >
11 > > > If that device behaves badly in router mode by blocking just all
12 > > > icmp traffic instead of only icmp-echo-req, this is a good idea.
13 > > > You may want to bug AT&T about this problem then. It should really
14 > > > not block related icmp traffic.
17 > > Hi Kai, yesterday I switched my Gentoo router over to handling PPPoE
18 > > and pings seem to be working properly now. The AT&T device is now
19 > > functioning as a modem only and passing everything through. Today
20 > > I'll find out if it helps with TCP Queuing and (supposedly) related
21 > > http response slowdowns.
22 >
23 > You may want to set the default congestion control to fq-codel (it's
24 > in the kernel) if you're using DSL links. This may help your problem a
25 > little bit. It is most effective if you deploy traffic shaping at the
26 > same time. There was once something like wondershaper. Trick is to get
27 > the TCP queuing back inside your router (that is where you deployed
28 > pppoe) as otherwise packets will queue up in the modem (dsl modems use
29 > huge queues by default). This works by lowering the uplink bandwith to
30 > 80-90% of measured maximum upload (the excess bandwidth is for short
31 > bursts of traffic). Traffic shaping now re-orders the packets. It
32 > should send ACK and small packets first. This should solve your
33 > queuing problem.
34 >
35 > Between each step check dslreports.com for bufferbloat. I'm guessing
36 > it is currently way above 1000 ms while it should stay below 20-50 ms
37 > for dsl.
38 >
39 > The fq-codel congestion control fights against buffer bloat. But it
40 > can only effectively work if you're doing traffic shaping at least on
41 > your uplink (downlink may or may not be worth the effort depending on
42 > your use-case).
43 >
44 > Additionally, you can lower the priority of icmp-echo-reply this way
45 > so during icmp flooding your uplink will still work.
46 >
47 > This link may help you:
48 > https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/
49