From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: TCP Queuing problem
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:53:26
1 >> > > If that device behaves badly in router mode by blocking just all
2 >> > > icmp traffic instead of only icmp-echo-req, this is a good idea.
3 >> > > You may want to bug AT&T about this problem then. It should really
4 >> > > not block related icmp traffic.
5 >> >
6 >> >
7 >> > Hi Kai, yesterday I switched my Gentoo router over to handling PPPoE
8 >> > and pings seem to be working properly now. The AT&T device is now
9 >> > functioning as a modem only and passing everything through. Today
10 >> > I'll find out if it helps with TCP Queuing and (supposedly) related
11 >> > http response slowdowns.
12 >>
13 >> You may want to set the default congestion control to fq-codel (it's
14 >> in the kernel) if you're using DSL links. This may help your problem a
15 >> little bit. It is most effective if you deploy traffic shaping at the
16 >> same time. There was once something like wondershaper. Trick is to get
17 >> the TCP queuing back inside your router (that is where you deployed
18 >> pppoe) as otherwise packets will queue up in the modem (dsl modems use
19 >> huge queues by default). This works by lowering the uplink bandwith to
20 >> 80-90% of measured maximum upload (the excess bandwidth is for short
21 >> bursts of traffic). Traffic shaping now re-orders the packets. It
22 >> should send ACK and small packets first. This should solve your
23 >> queuing problem.
24 >>
25 >> Between each step check dslreports.com for bufferbloat. I'm guessing
26 >> it is currently way above 1000 ms while it should stay below 20-50 ms
27 >> for dsl.
28 >>
29 >> The fq-codel congestion control fights against buffer bloat. But it
30 >> can only effectively work if you're doing traffic shaping at least on
31 >> your uplink (downlink may or may not be worth the effort depending on
32 >> your use-case).
33 >>
34 >> Additionally, you can lower the priority of icmp-echo-reply this way
35 >> so during icmp flooding your uplink will still work.
36 >>
37 >> This link may help you:
38 >> https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/
39 >
40 > And this:
41 > https://github.com/tohojo/sqm-scripts
44 I haven't mentioned it yet, but several times I've seen the website
45 perform fine all day until I browse to it myself and then all of a
46 sudden it's super slow for me and my third-party monitor. WTF???
47
48 - Grant