From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *** WARNING : 2.6.30 kernel hangs and destroys filesystems on old hardware
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:26:03
1 2009/7/9 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I just want to warn everybody about the 2.6.30 kernel
5 > (gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r2)
6 >
7 > First, it seems to run fine on modern hardware with SATA drives
8 > (AMD64 in my case)
9 >
10 > BUT, on two old machines with SMP and IDE drivers (different
11 > controllers) the kernel randomly hangs and what is worse,
12 > it has destroyed a filesystem in such a way that even fsck
13 > (from a rescue cd with an 2.6.29 kernel) hangs.
14 > I had to make a pristine filesystem on that partition.
15 >
16 > There are some reports on the kernel mailing list and the
17 > kernel bug tracker which talk about similar problems
18 > on some hardware.
19 >
20 > If some has more news (e.g. on how to fix that)
21 > I'd be very interested.
22 > Thanks,
23 > Helmut.
26 Thanks for the warning Helmut. I am still trying to get the 2.6.29 to
27 work on my old laptop and was hoping that the 2.6.30 would offer a
28 fix, but from what you are saying it may be a retrograde step in old
29 hardware like mine.
32 Regards,
33 Mick