From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] *** WARNING : 2.6.30 kernel hangs and destroys filesystems on old hardware
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:13:49
1 Hi,
2
3 I just want to warn everybody about the 2.6.30 kernel
4 (gentoo-sources-2.6.30-r2)
5
6 First, it seems to run fine on modern hardware with SATA drives
7 (AMD64 in my case)
8
9 BUT, on two old machines with SMP and IDE drivers (different
10 controllers) the kernel randomly hangs and what is worse,
11 it has destroyed a filesystem in such a way that even fsck
12 (from a rescue cd with an 2.6.29 kernel) hangs.
13 I had to make a pristine filesystem on that partition.
14
15 There are some reports on the kernel mailing list and the
16 kernel bug tracker which talk about similar problems
17 on some hardware.
18
19 If some has more news (e.g. on how to fix that)
20 I'd be very interested.
21 Thanks,
22 Helmut.
25 Helmut Jarausch