From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:11:12
1 BRM writes:
2
3 > > > If you keep your world file (/var/lib/portage/world) tidy, simply
4 > > > deleting all lines with KDE3 packages and running emerge -a --
5 > > > depclean will take care of it.
6 > >
7 > > > You *do* keep your world file tidy, don't you? :P
8 > >
9 > > That would be the easiest method. If you use the kde-meta package
10 > > like I do, just remove the one for KDE 3 and let --depclean do its
11 > > thing. It should get all of it.
12 >
13 > I actually don't touch the world file, and just do the 'emerge world
14 > -vuDNa' for updates. From my POV, that is emerge/Portage's job - not
15 > mine.
16
17 I'd also leave the world file alone, and emerge -C the packages I want
18 removed.
19
20 > Aside from that, I'm not sure I have ever really run "emerge
21 > --depclean", but I also rarely uninstall anything, but don't install
22 > things left or right to try out either, so typically upgrades are all
23 > I need to do.
24 >
25 > Having just done a compiler upgrade, I can say that there are roughly
26 > 1100 packages (emerge -eav) in world that were recompiled.
27 >
28 > I was just contemplating - KDE4 is stable, and I don't see myself
29 > running KDE3 again; so why keep it around. If 'emerge world -vuDNa'
30 > will remove it when it gets pushed off the main trunk, then that's
31 > probably fine with me - since that seems to not be very far out now.
32 > If not, then I definitely want to remove it now as there is no other
33 > reason for keeping it around.
34
35 KDE3 is no longer in the portage tree, it's in the kde-sunset overlay.
36
37 World updates do not remove things, you need to use emerge --depclean for
38 this. It will probably want to remove a lot when you never depcleaned
39 before, so be sure to check. Put the stuff you want to keep in your world
40 file with emerge -n, then depclean the rest. I guess it will remove your
41 whole KDE3 that is no longer in portage. If you like to keep it, add the
42 kde-sunset overlay with laymanl, and maybe emerge kde-base/kde-meta:3.5.
43
44 > That's the only issue. My only concern is software (e.g. KDevelop) that
45 > may not have been updated to KDE4 yet. (Not a fan of KDevelop3;
46 > waiting to see how KDevelop4 is going to shape up.)
47
48 The KDE4 version is in the kde overlay, but I do not know if it is usable
49 already.
50
51 Wonko