From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd as drop-in replacement for udev?
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:26:20
1 On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Fri, December 6, 2013 00:17, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Róbert Čerňanský
4 >> <openhs@×××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> I will try openrc-force as temporal solution until I'll find a new
6 >>> display manager and give heart breaking good by to GDM.
7 >>
8 >> You could *try* to run systemd and see if you like it.
9 >>
10 >> Many of us do.
11 >
12 > For the option to try systemd, I would first require a detailed how-to on
13 > how to switch back to OpenRC without requiring reverting to backups or
14 > doing a full reinstall.
15
16 You don't need to use backups, much less a full reinstall. However,
17 several packages must be reemerged and a couple ones must be
18 uninstalled before you switch to systemd. Obviously, you need to do
19 the opposite to revert back to OpenRC.
20
21 Which packages must be reemerged and which ones must be uninstalled
22 depends on what do you have installed. It is mostly handled by
23 portage, though, so you don't need to worry about it.
24
25 If you unpack a stage3 tarball for a new installation, the only thing
26 you need to do to get systemd is to "emerge systemd" and change your
27 init line in your boot loader. Portage will uninstall udev for you,
28 and OpenRC will remain, but it would do nothing. The more things you
29 add to your system, the more packages will be affected by the change,
30 in either direction. Also, systemd requires more kernel configure
31 options enabled than OpenRC.
32
33 To change back, usually you will only need to unemerge systemd, emerge
34 udev, and perhaps USE="-systemd" emerge -uDNvp @world. Be warned that
35 the best thing to do is to do it from a LiveCD; if you boot with
36 systemd, and uninstalled it, I don't think the shutdown would be
37 clean.
38
39 Regards.
40 --