From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 18:11:13
1 On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:58 PM Consus <consus@××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > even distribution kernel is not an
4 > official thing, but a desperate attempt of someone to fix things.
7 Huh? gentoo-sources is in at least as good a shape as I've ever seen
8 it. I'd argue it is in better shape than at a lot of times in the
9 past.
10
11 There are other kernels in the repo, as there have been for as long as
12 I can remember. They vary in purpose and level of QA. And of course
13 you can just download your own sources considering the official
14 handbook instructions has you build your own kernel anyway... I
15 personally just run upstream longterm so that I have more control over
16 things, because I run ZFS. However I wouldn't say that this is any
17 problem with the Gentoo kernels - I just have unusual needs and a
18 package for the source tarball doesn't really add much value anyway.
19 A package that actually builds/installs a working kernel seems like a
20 lot more value-add aside from the QA.
23 Rich