From: Consus <consus@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 18:33:28
1 On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 02:10:54PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:58 PM Consus <consus@××××.net> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > even distribution kernel is not an
5 > > official thing, but a desperate attempt of someone to fix things.
8 > Huh? gentoo-sources is in at least as good a shape as I've ever seen
9 > it. I'd argue it is in better shape than at a lot of times in the
10 > past.
11
12 Still you have to manually configure things. And I know that Gentoo is
13 about choice, but configuring kernel is hard.
14
15 > There are other kernels in the repo, as there have been for as long as
16 > I can remember. They vary in purpose and level of QA. And of course
17 > you can just download your own sources considering the official
18 > handbook instructions has you build your own kernel anyway... I
19 > personally just run upstream longterm so that I have more control over
20 > things, because I run ZFS. However I wouldn't say that this is any
21 > problem with the Gentoo kernels - I just have unusual needs and a
22 > package for the source tarball doesn't really add much value anyway.
23 > A package that actually builds/installs a working kernel seems like a
24 > lot more value-add aside from the QA.
25
26 That's why I love gentoo-kernel-bin. It provides a decent kernel without
27 any "oh crap oh crap oh crap what should I do with all these new
28 options".
29
30 P.S. genkernel seems to be actively maintained again, neat.