From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Thermal cpu
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:29:25
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:05:09 +0200 "Sylvain Chouleur"
4 <neolistic@×××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I tried to install and use lm_sensors but it don't detect any sensors.
7
8 Since there are really lots of drivers, I just guess you didn't compile
9 the right ones when building your kernel.
10
11 > Moreover, I think it's a problem of acpi or the kernel configuration
12 > because on my debian, I don't use lm_sensors, just acpi.
13
14 That's two completely different things.
15
16 > May be detection is bad made or may be cpu id bad used, but top show
17 > me that:
18 > [...]
19
20 ?!? How does "top" come into play here?!?
21
22 > and acpi -t:
23 > Thermal 1: ok, 65.0 degrees C
24
25 OK, so ACPI temperature zone support is working.
26
27 > And at this state, on debian, the thermal is at 53 degrees C so and
28 > don't understand.
29
30 If that's why you posted top output: It doesn't depend on absolute
31 load. Maybe your debian box enables throttling, either ACPI P-States,
32 or CPUfreq. You might want to play with the cpufreq ondemand governor
33 (there's also an alternative implementation, read the docs of those
34 kernel options) or cpufreqd.
35
36 > Is there some option to activate in the kernel to support better the
37 > thermal or cpu use?
38
39 CPUfreq, see above. And it certainly won't make CPU use better (it
40 throttles) -- but might lower the temperature.
41
42 -hwh
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list