From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:37:31
1 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 17/12/2010, at 8:31pm, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> ...
5 >> I bought this router the other day. I notice something that is a little weird. When I first wake up and try to check my email, the internet is dead.
6 >>
7 > I have an alternative suggestion - I apologise if you find it unhelpful - but why don't you sent this router back and get a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, instead?
8 >
9 > The Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH ships with dd-wrt Linux pre-installed. I plan to flash one with OpenWRT and configure it from the command-line. If I have problems with it I'll then be able to post "I tried this iptables command but ..." or look in /var/log and see what's going on. You may find it works just fine with the default firmware& Buffalo's fancy GUI, but the great thing about Linux is that you can fix it yourself!
10 >
11 > http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h
12 >
13 > IIRC the guys in #openwrt don't think much of current Linksys models.
14 >
15 > You have already wasted a bunch of time on this problem. Why waste any more?
16 >
17 > The TP-Link TP-Link TL-WR1043ND is also quite well-regarded, I think - it has lower specifications, but is a bit cheaper. The Netgear WNDR3700 is considered cream of the commodity routers right now (for its CPU speed and dual channel wifi, IIRC) but is a bit more expensive.
18 >
19 > http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd
20 > http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700
21 >
22 > Stroller.
26 That may be plan b. My car started acting up the other day and I may
27 have to get yet another distributor for it. I replaced it a couple
28 years ago. They seem to have a batch of sensors that have a short life
29 span. Anyway, that may have to be put off to later if I need to buy
30 something for my car.
31
32 It looks like they are wireless. I didn't see a wired one. I use wired
33 because I live just a few miles from a Air Force Base. They fly right
34 over the house. They even knock out my satellite signal sometimes. I
35 was told that having things wired should be fine but wireless could be
36 fun to deal with. They fly close enough to me that I can see a helmet
37 in the plane. They even wave at times. lol
38
39 Then again, we did try to do this through my old Linux puter. I
40 couldn't get that to work either. When it comes to networking, I'm a
41 idiot. I know how to hook it up but that's about it. It would be neat
42 to learn tho.
43
44 Dale
45