From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:57:01
1 On 19/12/2010, at 1:36pm, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Stroller wrote:
4 >> On 17/12/2010, at 8:31pm, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> ...
7 >>> I bought this router the other day. I notice something that is a little weird. When I first wake up and try to check my email, the internet is dead.
8 >>>
9 >> I have an alternative suggestion - I apologise if you find it unhelpful - but why don't you sent this router back and get a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, instead?
10 >>
11 >> The Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH ships with dd-wrt Linux pre-installed. I plan to flash one with OpenWRT and configure it from the command-line.
12 >> ...
13 >
14 > That may be plan b. ...
15 >
16 > It looks like they are wireless. I didn't see a wired one. I use wired because I live just a few miles from a Air Force Base. They fly right over the house. They even knock out my satellite signal sometimes. I was told that having things wired should be fine but wireless could be fun to deal with. They fly close enough to me that I can see a helmet in the plane. They even wave at times. lol
17
18 It occurred to me after posting, "I bet he's not using wifi"!
19
20 You could probably just disable the wireless interface, but it seems silly to buy such a good router only to do that. You should look on the OpenWRT wiki and find one of the wires-only routers they list as compatible.
21
22 I feel networking to be a really important skill in computing, but it can be hard to diagnose problems if you're insulated from what's going on by a dumbass GUI.
23
24 Stroller.