From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 19:43:26
1 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 19/12/2010, at 1:36pm, Dale wrote:
5 >> Stroller wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On 17/12/2010, at 8:31pm, Dale wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> ...
11 >>>> I bought this router the other day. I notice something that is a little weird. When I first wake up and try to check my email, the internet is dead.
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>> I have an alternative suggestion - I apologise if you find it unhelpful - but why don't you sent this router back and get a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, instead?
15 >>>
16 >>> The Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH ships with dd-wrt Linux pre-installed. I plan to flash one with OpenWRT and configure it from the command-line.
17 >>> ...
18 >>>
19 >> That may be plan b. ...
20 >>
21 >> It looks like they are wireless. I didn't see a wired one. I use wired because I live just a few miles from a Air Force Base. They fly right over the house. They even knock out my satellite signal sometimes. I was told that having things wired should be fine but wireless could be fun to deal with. They fly close enough to me that I can see a helmet in the plane. They even wave at times. lol
22 >>
23 > It occurred to me after posting, "I bet he's not using wifi"!
24 >
25 > You could probably just disable the wireless interface, but it seems silly to buy such a good router only to do that. You should look on the OpenWRT wiki and find one of the wires-only routers they list as compatible.
26 >
27 > I feel networking to be a really important skill in computing, but it can be hard to diagnose problems if you're insulated from what's going on by a dumbass GUI.
28 >
29 > Stroller.
32 Or worse yet, there is a idiot using the GUI. ;-)
33
34 Dale
35