From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:06:31
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008 23:43:34 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Personally, I'm very interested in seeing where Intel go with their new
5 > > SSDs.
6 >
7 > Two weeks ago, I did some tests with a SSD (ZFS and UFS) and it is really
8 > promising.
9
10 That's what Linux said on his blog too. They just worked and worked well and
11 impressed him technically with no silly rotating media characteristics
12 carried over to SSD. Which is a refreshing change indeed
13
14 > They still have "seek times" but much smaller than rotating media.
15 > ZFS behaves (as expected) much better on SSD than UFS.
16 > ZFS even supports (or will soon support) to add separate SSDs as write
17 > cache and as meta data cache.
18
19 I think I need to investigate this deeper and do a write-up for work. I have a
20 FreeBSD-7 deployment system (nothing for OpenSolaris) so I'll use that. Any
21 comment on ZFS performace/stability on FreeBSD?
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com