From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:43:38
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 25 November 2008 23:15:27 Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 > > James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > Backups.
6 > > >
7 > > > get a usb stick and manually copy your stuff to it, periodically.
8 > >
9 > > Where do you get these 1 TB USB sticks?
10 >
11 > To be fair, he was responding to a parent that asked about backing up 3.8G of
12 > data, so USB sticks are not unfeasible. Until they get lost that is.
13 >
14 > Personally, I'm very interested in seeing where Intel go with their new SSDs.
15
16 Two weeks ago, I did some tests with a SSD (ZFS and UFS) and it is really
17 promising.
18
19 They still have "seek times" but much smaller than rotating media.
20 ZFS behaves (as expected) much better on SSD than UFS.
21 ZFS even supports (or will soon support) to add separate SSDs as write cache and
22 as meta data cache.
23
24 Jörg
27 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin