From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:35:46
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008 23:15:27 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Backups.
4 > >
5 > > get a usb stick and manually copy your stuff to it, periodically.
6 >
7 > Where do you get these 1 TB USB sticks?
8
9 To be fair, he was responding to a parent that asked about backing up 3.8G of
10 data, so USB sticks are not unfeasible. Until they get lost that is.
11
12 Personally, I'm very interested in seeing where Intel go with their new SSDs.
13 The reason is that I'm getting sick and tired of having to explain and
14 justify why the laws of physics prevent my girlfriend from being able to
15 backup her 5T banking warehouse on the schedule the law of the country would
16 like her to. There's a solution, but it's hackish and ugly and involves
17 extremely careful management of LVM snapshots. This is simply way too much
18 admin effort for what should really be a simple incremental backup process.
19 And let's not even get into what restores involve
20
21 Let's face it, disks only spin so fast and Moore's law does not apply to disk
22 and tape speed. Vastly improving the first half - drive speed - is a huge
23 first step in the right direction.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com