From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. Can't boot.
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 05:56:47
1 On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 19:32:54 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Mick.
3 >
4 > On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 20:11:33 +0100, Mick wrote:
5 > > On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 18:26:43 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6
7 --->8
8
9 > > > Can anybody suggest ideas to get this machine booting? Would
10 > > > partitioning the drives with MBR, and trying to boot that way help,
11 > > > for
12 > > > example? I really don't want to do that, though, though if it's the
13 > > > only way to get my machine booting, I'd do it.
14 > >
15 > > Have you tried booting with one disk only? This should confirm if your
16 > > set up and drivers are appropriate for your hardware.
17 >
18 > I have tried taking the "secondary" SSD out. It fails to boot in this
19 > case exactly as when both SSDs are installed. However, once booted (from
20 > the CD), the installation system can read and write the SSDs without
21 > problem. There's a setting in the BIOS booting section, where one can
22 > indicated whether booting from NVMe is in GPT or MBR mode, so it seems
23 > the Asus's intention is to allow booting from an NVMe SSD.
24
25 I also have an Asus motherboard, but for Intel hardware.
26
27 In your BIOS secure-boot page, do you have a section called Key Management?
28 When I was working on getting my machine to boot, a year ago, I was advised*
29 to hit the item "Load default keys". This was to clear out any dross that
30 might have found its way into the secure-boot mechanism and enable me to
31 boot in Other mode - i.e. not a Microsoft secure boot.
32
33 As Mick says, you need to install a kernel image in the boot partition
34 (which must be FAT32). There are several ways to do this; I use bootctl from
35 sys-boot/systemd-boot (don't worry - it doesn't depend on having the rest of
36 systemd around it). It allows a choice of system to boot, without the
37 gymnastics needed by GRUB-2, but you have to maintain the different images'
38 config files manually.
39
40 Let me know if I can' help with bootctl. Good luck!
41
42 * An advantage of buying a newfangled system ready built.
45 Regards
46 Peter