From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. Can't boot.
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 19:33:55
1 Hello, Mick.
2
3 On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 20:11:33 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 18:26:43 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hello, Gentoo.
6
7 > > The saga of my new AMD Ryzen machine: I've installed Gentoo onto
8 > > (mdadam) RAID-1 on two MVMe Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSDs, one of them being
9 > > plugged into the motherboard, the other in a carrier card plugged into
10 > > the second PCIe x16 slot.
11
12 > > At least, I've got as far as the point where I need to boot into the
13 > > newly installed system. The machine doesn't boot. In its attempts, it
14 > > displays an underline cursor on a blank 80 x 25 screen, flips this
15 > > cursor nearer the middle of the screen once or twice, then hangs.
16
17 > > The SSDs are partitioned with GPT. The boot loader is grub2. I've
18 > > taken care to follow the instructions in the Gentoo handbook to try to
19 > > avoid missing out some little detail. However, I've never used grub2
20 > > before, so quite possibly I have missed something out.
21
22 > > It's also possible that the motherboard's BIOS is still too buggy to
23 > > support booting from an NVMe drive. (It's an Asus Prime X370-Pro: I've
24 > > already had to upgrade the BIOS once (to version 0604) to get the
25 > > installation CD to be recognised at all.)
26
27 > > Asus doesn't have email support, they merely have an http site where one
28 > > can register and ask for help, if one doesn't mind their obnoxious
29 > > ambiguous "privacy" policy. I do mind, particularly after having paid
30 > > good money for a product which is only partially working.
31
32 > > The BIOS boot sections are puzzling. If I disable what they call
33 > > "OPROM" booting (i.e. MBR), the BIOS no longer displays the three drives
34 > > (two SSDs + DVD) as booting options. There is an ostensible setting
35 > > called "secure boot" which is enabled, and I haven't found any way of
36 > > disabling it.
37
38 > If you cannot find a way to disable Secure Boot you will need to use a kernel
39 > image which has been digitally signed by RHL, or Microsoft. Have a look here
40 > (random page on Google search):
41
42 > https://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-pc-with-secure-boot/
43
44 > If you obtain the necessary key you should be able to sign your kernel/initrd
45 > and then use these to boot your PC without disabling secure boot. Some binary
46 > distros RHL/Ubuntu et al probably provide digitally signed images to try.
47
48 If I can't boot Gentoo, the motherboard goes back to the shop (or into
49 the dustbin). I'm not going to be installing anything which uses a
50 signed image. Still, the CD booted without a signature. Could it be
51 that it will boot from MBR normally, but requires a signature for GPT?
52
53 > > When I booted from the minimal CD, did it boot in MBR or GPT mode? How
54 > > do I tell?
55
56 > Check you've disabled your Compatibility Support Module so the MoBo will not
57 > try to use legacy BIOS boot mode with MBR, rather than UEFI.
58
59 If I disable the CSModule, the BIOS doesn't show the CD drive at all, so
60 I can't boot that way.
61
62 > After it boots check if you can list the directory /sys/firmware/efi.
63 > If you get a result like this:
64
65 > $ ls -la /sys/firmware/efi
66 > ls: cannot access '/sys/firmware/efi': No such file or directory
67
68 > you have booted in BIOS mode.
69
70 That settles it. I've been booting in MBR/BIOS mode. Thanks.
71
72 > However, if you get a message like this:
73
74 > $ ls -la /sys/firmware/efi
75 > total 0
76 > drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 .
77 > drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 ..
78 > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 config_table
79 > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 efivars
80 > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 fw_platform_size
81 > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 fw_vendor
82 > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 runtime
83 > -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 systab
84 > drwxr-xr-x 134 root root 0 Apr 20 20:07 vars
85
86 > then you have booted a UEFI system.
89 > > Can anybody suggest ideas to get this machine booting? Would
90 > > partitioning the drives with MBR, and trying to boot that way help, for
91 > > example? I really don't want to do that, though, though if it's the
92 > > only way to get my machine booting, I'd do it.
93
94 > Have you tried booting with one disk only? This should confirm if your set up
95 > and drivers are appropriate for your hardware.
96
97 I have tried taking the "secondary" SSD out. It fails to boot in this
98 case exactly as when both SSDs are installed. However, once booted (from
99 the CD), the installation system can read and write the SSDs without
100 problem. There's a setting in the BIOS booting section, where one can
101 indicated whether booting from NVMe is in GPT or MBR mode, so it seems
102 the Asus's intention is to allow booting from an NVMe SSD.
103
104 > --
105 > Regards,
106 > Mick
109 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).