From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. Can't boot.
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:11:17
1 On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 19:32:54 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Mick.
3 >
4 > On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 20:11:33 +0100, Mick wrote:
5 > > On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 18:26:43 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 > > > Hello, Gentoo.
7 > > >
8 > > > The saga of my new AMD Ryzen machine: I've installed Gentoo onto
9 > > > (mdadam) RAID-1 on two MVMe Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSDs, one of them being
10 > > > plugged into the motherboard, the other in a carrier card plugged into
11 > > > the second PCIe x16 slot.
12 > > >
13 > > > At least, I've got as far as the point where I need to boot into the
14 > > > newly installed system. The machine doesn't boot. In its attempts, it
15 > > > displays an underline cursor on a blank 80 x 25 screen, flips this
16 > > > cursor nearer the middle of the screen once or twice, then hangs.
17 > > >
18 > > > The SSDs are partitioned with GPT. The boot loader is grub2. I've
19 > > > taken care to follow the instructions in the Gentoo handbook to try to
20 > > > avoid missing out some little detail. However, I've never used grub2
21 > > > before, so quite possibly I have missed something out.
22 > > >
23 > > > It's also possible that the motherboard's BIOS is still too buggy to
24 > > > support booting from an NVMe drive. (It's an Asus Prime X370-Pro: I've
25 > > > already had to upgrade the BIOS once (to version 0604) to get the
26 > > > installation CD to be recognised at all.)
27 > > >
28 > > > Asus doesn't have email support, they merely have an http site where one
29 > > > can register and ask for help, if one doesn't mind their obnoxious
30 > > > ambiguous "privacy" policy. I do mind, particularly after having paid
31 > > > good money for a product which is only partially working.
32 > > >
33 > > > The BIOS boot sections are puzzling. If I disable what they call
34 > > > "OPROM" booting (i.e. MBR), the BIOS no longer displays the three drives
35 > > > (two SSDs + DVD) as booting options. There is an ostensible setting
36 > > > called "secure boot" which is enabled, and I haven't found any way of
37 > > > disabling it.
38 > >
39 > > If you cannot find a way to disable Secure Boot you will need to use a
40 > > kernel image which has been digitally signed by RHL, or Microsoft. Have
41 > > a look here (random page on Google search):
42 > >
43 > > https://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-p
44 > > c-with-secure-boot/
45 > >
46 > > If you obtain the necessary key you should be able to sign your
47 > > kernel/initrd and then use these to boot your PC without disabling secure
48 > > boot. Some binary distros RHL/Ubuntu et al probably provide digitally
49 > > signed images to try.
50 > If I can't boot Gentoo, the motherboard goes back to the shop (or into
51 > the dustbin). I'm not going to be installing anything which uses a
52 > signed image. Still, the CD booted without a signature. Could it be
53 > that it will boot from MBR normally, but requires a signature for GPT?
54 >
55 > > > When I booted from the minimal CD, did it boot in MBR or GPT mode? How
56 > > > do I tell?
57 > >
58 > > Check you've disabled your Compatibility Support Module so the MoBo will
59 > > not try to use legacy BIOS boot mode with MBR, rather than UEFI.
60 >
61 > If I disable the CSModule, the BIOS doesn't show the CD drive at all, so
62 > I can't boot that way.
63 >
64 > > After it boots check if you can list the directory /sys/firmware/efi.
65 > > If you get a result like this:
66 > >
67 > > $ ls -la /sys/firmware/efi
68 > > ls: cannot access '/sys/firmware/efi': No such file or directory
69 > >
70 > > you have booted in BIOS mode.
71 >
72 > That settles it. I've been booting in MBR/BIOS mode. Thanks.
73 >
74 > > However, if you get a message like this:
75 > >
76 > > $ ls -la /sys/firmware/efi
77 > > total 0
78 > > drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 .
79 > > drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 ..
80 > > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 config_table
81 > > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 efivars
82 > > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 fw_platform_size
83 > > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 fw_vendor
84 > > -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 runtime
85 > > -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 systab
86 > > drwxr-xr-x 134 root root 0 Apr 20 20:07 vars
87 > >
88 > > then you have booted a UEFI system.
89 > >
90 > > > Can anybody suggest ideas to get this machine booting? Would
91 > > > partitioning the drives with MBR, and trying to boot that way help, for
92 > > > example? I really don't want to do that, though, though if it's the
93 > > > only way to get my machine booting, I'd do it.
94 > >
95 > > Have you tried booting with one disk only? This should confirm if your
96 > > set up and drivers are appropriate for your hardware.
97 >
98 > I have tried taking the "secondary" SSD out. It fails to boot in this
99 > case exactly as when both SSDs are installed. However, once booted (from
100 > the CD), the installation system can read and write the SSDs without
101 > problem. There's a setting in the BIOS booting section, where one can
102 > indicated whether booting from NVMe is in GPT or MBR mode, so it seems
103 > the Asus's intention is to allow booting from an NVMe SSD.
104
105 I am not cropping the above thread for other posters to refer to it in their
108 Boot with a LiveCD or LiveUSB which offers UEFI booting capability; e.g.
109 sysrescuecd.
110
111 Make sure your kernel has been configured and built for the boot system you
112 will be using.
113
114 Prepare a UEFI boot partition/fs and copy there your kernel image if you want
115 to boot without a boot manager, or GRUB/rEFInd/etc., if you want to keep using
116 a boot manager.
117
118 Reboot without the LiveCD/USB and as long as you configured your system
119 correctly it should boot up.
120
121 HTH.
122 --