From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. Can't boot.
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 19:12:03
1 On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 18:26:43 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > The saga of my new AMD Ryzen machine: I've installed Gentoo onto
5 > (mdadam) RAID-1 on two MVMe Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSDs, one of them being
6 > plugged into the motherboard, the other in a carrier card plugged into
7 > the second PCIe x16 slot.
8 >
9 > At least, I've got as far as the point where I need to boot into the
10 > newly installed system. The machine doesn't boot. In its attempts, it
11 > displays an underline cursor on a blank 80 x 25 screen, flips this
12 > cursor nearer the middle of the screen once or twice, then hangs.
13 >
14 > The SSDs are partitioned with GPT. The boot loader is grub2. I've
15 > taken care to follow the instructions in the Gentoo handbook to try to
16 > avoid missing out some little detail. However, I've never used grub2
17 > before, so quite possibly I have missed something out.
18 >
19 > It's also possible that the motherboard's BIOS is still too buggy to
20 > support booting from an NVMe drive. (It's an Asus Prime X370-Pro: I've
21 > already had to upgrade the BIOS once (to version 0604) to get the
22 > installation CD to be recognised at all.)
23 >
24 > Asus doesn't have email support, they merely have an http site where one
25 > can register and ask for help, if one doesn't mind their obnoxious
26 > ambiguous "privacy" policy. I do mind, particularly after having paid
27 > good money for a product which is only partially working.
28 >
29 > The BIOS boot sections are puzzling. If I disable what they call
30 > "OPROM" booting (i.e. MBR), the BIOS no longer displays the three drives
31 > (two SSDs + DVD) as booting options. There is an ostensible setting
32 > called "secure boot" which is enabled, and I haven't found any way of
33 > disabling it.
34
35 If you cannot find a way to disable Secure Boot you will need to use a kernel
36 image which has been digitally signed by RHL, or Microsoft. Have a look here
37 (random page on Google search):
38
39 https://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-pc-with-secure-boot/
40
41 If you obtain the necessary key you should be able to sign your kernel/initrd
42 and then use these to boot your PC without disabling secure boot. Some binary
43 distros RHL/Ubuntu et al probably provide digitally signed images to try.
46 > When I booted from the minimal CD, did it boot in MBR or GPT mode? How
47 > do I tell?
48
49 Check you've disabled your Compatibility Support Module so the MoBo will not
50 try to use legacy BIOS boot mode with MBR, rather than UEFI. After it boots
51 check if you can list the directory /sys/firmware/efi. If you get a result
52 like this:
53
54 $ ls -la /sys/firmware/efi
55 ls: cannot access '/sys/firmware/efi': No such file or directory
56
57 you have booted in BIOS mode. However, if you get a message like this:
58
59 $ ls -la /sys/firmware/efi
60 total 0
61 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 .
62 drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 ..
63 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 config_table
64 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Apr 20 17:28 efivars
65 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 fw_platform_size
66 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 fw_vendor
67 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 runtime
68 -r-------- 1 root root 4096 Apr 20 20:07 systab
69 drwxr-xr-x 134 root root 0 Apr 20 20:07 vars
70
71 then you have booted a UEFI system.
74 > Can anybody suggest ideas to get this machine booting? Would
75 > partitioning the drives with MBR, and trying to boot that way help, for
76 > example? I really don't want to do that, though, though if it's the
77 > only way to get my machine booting, I'd do it.
78
79 Have you tried booting with one disk only? This should confirm if your set up
80 and drivers are appropriate for your hardware.
83 Regards,
84 Mick