From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New AMD hardware. Can't boot.
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 18:27:44
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 The saga of my new AMD Ryzen machine: I've installed Gentoo onto
4 (mdadam) RAID-1 on two MVMe Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSDs, one of them being
5 plugged into the motherboard, the other in a carrier card plugged into
6 the second PCIe x16 slot.
7
8 At least, I've got as far as the point where I need to boot into the
9 newly installed system. The machine doesn't boot. In its attempts, it
10 displays an underline cursor on a blank 80 x 25 screen, flips this
11 cursor nearer the middle of the screen once or twice, then hangs.
12
13 The SSDs are partitioned with GPT. The boot loader is grub2. I've
14 taken care to follow the instructions in the Gentoo handbook to try to
15 avoid missing out some little detail. However, I've never used grub2
16 before, so quite possibly I have missed something out.
17
18 It's also possible that the motherboard's BIOS is still too buggy to
19 support booting from an NVMe drive. (It's an Asus Prime X370-Pro: I've
20 already had to upgrade the BIOS once (to version 0604) to get the
21 installation CD to be recognised at all.)
22
23 Asus doesn't have email support, they merely have an http site where one
24 can register and ask for help, if one doesn't mind their obnoxious
25 ambiguous "privacy" policy. I do mind, particularly after having paid
26 good money for a product which is only partially working.
27
28 The BIOS boot sections are puzzling. If I disable what they call
29 "OPROM" booting (i.e. MBR), the BIOS no longer displays the three drives
30 (two SSDs + DVD) as booting options. There is an ostensible setting
31 called "secure boot" which is enabled, and I haven't found any way of
32 disabling it.
33
34 When I booted from the minimal CD, did it boot in MBR or GPT mode? How
35 do I tell?
36
37 Can anybody suggest ideas to get this machine booting? Would
38 partitioning the drives with MBR, and trying to boot that way help, for
39 example? I really don't want to do that, though, though if it's the
40 only way to get my machine booting, I'd do it.
43 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).